Needle and Thread memories

For sometime now I have been playing with the idea of using my old tracing wheel on a card.  Today was the day.  Here is the card I created to share with a group of ladies at a local community craft group:
A close up of the detail of lines created using the tracing wheel.
This card is clean and simple and you could easily add more detail if you wanted - why not inks and ink splatters, a scissor charm, more stamping of a ruler or sewing lines - the opportunities are endless.
My mother was a tailoress/dressmaker and she passed on her skills to me as a young child. I would read her Ladies Home Journal magazine from cover to cover many times over the years - the lady image reminds me of that time.  These magazines came complete with paper patterns and I recall that Mum made several of the family's outfits from them. I loved the stories that were of the film stars and the clothes that they wore. 
I did sewing/needlework as a subject a school where we were taught to make our own patterns, and for a short time I toyed with the idea of career as a sewing teacher when I left school.  As most people do, career goals change as you enter the 'real' world and I put that idea on the backburner.  I completed an Advanced Needlecraft Certificate at Hornsby TAFE about 15 years ago and for several years had my own business teaching patchwork and embroidery.   I was drawn to straight line quilts and even to this day I love the effect that straight lines can give to not only patchwork but also in my scrapbooking and card making.
I have used a stamp set by Kaisercraft called Needle & Thread for the main image and the greeting came from a free set given with a magazine some time ago.  I fussy cut the top and pockets.  Some buttons and sequins complete the card.
A perfect card, don't you think, for someone who loves to sew....
Thank you for looking, Margaret :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Budgerigar Card

Junk Journal

Junk Journal Ideas and Inspiration - 20 day challenge